Log inLog in    RegisterRegister       SearchSearch    ProfileProfile    ContactContact    FAQFAQ    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages

Navigation systems on aircraft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TheAirlinePilots.com Forum Index -> Crew Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabberwocky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Navigation systems on aircraft Reply with quote

I am a marine teacher so please forgive my ignorance about aircraft. I teach systems like GPS, DGPS, Glonass, Galileo and electronic charts to my students. he marine environment usually takes time to embrace new technology and concepts fully hence my questions....

1) What positioning systems are commonly found on a modern aircraft cockpit - DGPS? WAAS? or INS? Do you use Loran any longer (esp. after the US Volpe report on GPS susceptibility and e-loran)? D you stil have a magnetic compass on board?

2) Do modern aircrafts use only electronic charts (are they raster or vector? made by which company commonly? are they official or private charts?) or do we still use / keep for backup paper charts?

3) Do pilot always get support from their employers to use their over riding authority for safety ? (I think that is a common overriding authority for safety between marine and aero captains)

(Eg: if he cargo weight makes your craft unstable... or you feel you need more fuel... or you feel making a long deviation due to teh weathe ris safer in your opinion)

Thanks a lot!

Captain Anshuman Naik
K.Haroon
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Navigation systems on aircraft Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Captain Naik

1) A modern cockpit has both INS and GPS. DGPS and WAAS are also used to enhance and augment the GPS. However use of Loran is in steep decline with GPS being the primary replacement. Yes we do still have the compass on board.

2) Certainly a modern cockpit is EFIS (Electronic Flight Instrument System) based but we still have paper charts for reference, cross-checking and backup. Pilots working for airlines or companies get these charts officially whereas private pilots can buy them on their own. Checkout Jeppesen.com for more details. As far as I know, EFIS displays have both raster and vector graphic formats but I dont know if this is true for all or some. You may contact the EFIS manufacturers for a better and precise answer. Some common manufacturers are Rockwell Collins, Bendix, Garmin, Chelton Flight Systems, Dynon Avionics etc.

3) Yes the pilot in command (captain) has the right to use his authority for flight safety. He might be interrogated by his employer or state aviation authorities, but will get positive support if he is able to justify that he used his authority for flight safety only and not for anything else.

My pleasure
K. Haroon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TheAirlinePilots.com Forum Index -> Crew Lounge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: